Wednesday, January 6, 2010

How do i know if my front door has been previously painted w/latex or oil base?

I am wanted to repaint my front door which is metal...and I have no idea if it was painted w/latex or oil base paint. How do i find this out?How do i know if my front door has been previously painted w/latex or oil base?
you can try dabbing a bit of finger-nail polish remover or other petroleum product on a tiny spot on the door. If it softens or smears, it's oil-based.


You can't just paint latex over oil, the paint, when dry, can be scraped off by using a finger nail. If the original paint is oil-based, simply get another oil-based paint to repaint it. Likewise, if it's latex, repaint with latex.How do i know if my front door has been previously painted w/latex or oil base?
It won't mater if you repaint with a latex or acrylic paint. In either case, you will have to lightly sand to remove any sheen and wipe down with a damp cloth. Let dry and paint with a latex exterior or interior, (whichever is the case), paint. Sheen is up to you. You will not need to use a primer in either situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment