Wednesday, January 6, 2010

How do I know the Nuk size 3 latex pacifiers will be okay?

My baby girl is 17 months old and she is using the Gerber size 2 NUK silicone pacifiers. When she turns 18 months next month, I am planning on getting her the Gerber size 3 NUK pacifiers which are for ages 18 months to 3 years. However, they do not make the size 3 ones in silicone, they only make them in latex. I have heard that some people are allergic to latex. So how do I know that they will be okay for my baby. Or should I just keep on using the size 2 silicone ones?How do I know the Nuk size 3 latex pacifiers will be okay?
Editing ... because I just was a bit hypocritical. I get snarly when people are all ';Oh, you're horrible if you give your child X before age Y, they'll get an allergy and it'll be your fault!'; and then I went and did it to you over latex! The chances of a latex allergy are slim, slim, slim. Really, don't stress it. As I noted below, until recently all pacis were latex. Relax. You cannot live your life (or hers) avoiding every potential allergen. I would strongly suggest though that if she sucks on it all day and all night you try to wean her of this, limit her exposure. OR, try another brand. The size change isn't something she'll not notice, so try a different style at the same time?





--------------------------------------鈥?br>

(here's my original answer)


I would say keep using the size 2s and wean her off of them.





I don't suggest this because I have anything against pacis, or because I think she could be allergic to latex. She probably isn't. Some people are allergic to dogs, to milk, to peanuts, to carrots, to ... well, anything under the sun. Just because 'some people are allergic' isn't really a good reason to avoid something.





I say this because latex allergies are naaaasty. I don't mean to be an alarmist, but they develop and grow. Studies have clearly shown that even in people with no allergy, constant exposure can lead to it. Now, keep in mind that until recently silicone wasn't used for pacis and bottles. Just latex. And latex allergies amongst children weren't common and are still only common in kids who are frequently hospitalized. However, it is a growing concern amongst adults. So, I say, why start her down that road? Steer clear of latex, I suggest. It's not like other allergies - if you eat strawberries every day for a year you won't become allergic to strawberries. But latex exposure? You've got a good chance of it.How do I know the Nuk size 3 latex pacifiers will be okay?
The chance she is allergic to the latex is slim...





But you could also consider weaning her off of the pacifiers... and then you wouldn't have to worry about it either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment