Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I accidently mixed latex and oil when trying to do a faux, I need to repaint it, what should I do?

I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize it until I was cleaning up? I didn't like how it looked anyway but is there something I should do to either prepare the wall for repaint and which kind should I use to paint over it?I accidently mixed latex and oil when trying to do a faux, I need to repaint it, what should I do?
I bet that looks funky!





For now, do nothing. You will need to allow sufficient time for the paint to cure out before you do anything. A full cure will take a few weeks. Don't get in too much of a hurry. If you coat with a sealer before it is cured, it may never cure completely and you will have adhesion problems -- the paint will not stick to the walls.





If you aren't able to get any more specific advice, I would do an adhesion test after the paint is fully cured, again a possibly a few weeks. Place pieces of strong masking tape (not blue painter's tape) in several places and leave it for a few hours. Remove the tape, pulling away from the wall with the peeling tape perpendicular to the wall. If the paint stays, adhesion is good. If the paint comes off, the adhesion is a problem and ANY paint you put on top will eventually pull the existing off. The paint will have to come off, probably by sanding. Yuck!





If the adhesion is good, the gloss of the oil would come into play. High gloss or semi-gloss, you will need to lightly sand to break any gloss that is there. Satin, you should not need to sand. For either clean with mineral spirits to remove any excess oils from the oil paint or binder from the latex. Allow to dry and follow with a cleaning with tri-sodium phosphate, 2 cups (yes 2 cups) per gallon of water, scrub a bit and use some cleaning gloves as it will be hard on the skin. Rinse well and dry again.





I think you could paint at this point. Use a pigmented shellac sealer (BIN by Zinser), not an oil based sealer or any other primer as these may interact with leftovers from the prior problem. Shellac is rather inert and should not have this problem. Topcoat any way you wish (just don't mix oil and latex, in case you might forget) and forget this ever happened. I won't tell.





The real problem is there are some components in oil and latex paint that will mix, others that obviously will not. The tendency would be for one paint to pull some components from the other. The oil should have a stronger carrier component which would tend to pull binders from the latex. Add this to the fact that the carriers will not mix and you should have latex paint that does not have enough binder mixed in with oil paint that did not have enough carrier to get an even distribution.





Are both paints from the same manufacturer? If so, I would call their technical department. I have numbers for several manufacturers, email me if you can't find a number. They will be best suited to determine the problems and how to correct.





I am certain these paints did not mix well. Either one paint gripped to the wall and the other ';floated'; to the surface or you should have splotches with one paint in some areas and the other is the rest. Can you tell which way it went?I accidently mixed latex and oil when trying to do a faux, I need to repaint it, what should I do?
Oh man! You better wait for an expert on this one. Oil and water don't mix. You need to cover with primer, two coats, Let it dry a long while, before painting.
go get a zinnser primer and prime your walls, the go back and paint over it, then don't mix oil and water together again ha hah ah no really i have painted for 15 years seen in a million times and oh yeah you can keep painting with latex paint too, never paint a wall with oil base unless you want to smell it for 2 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment