Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Can I successfully paint a latex, satin finish, over an oil based primer?

I purchased some paints from Home Depot after consulting a painting dept. worker. I didn't know there was a difference in interior paints (latex and oil based) and I wound up buying latex paints, though he never mentioned there might be a problem. I painted my bathroom and when I removed the tape, the paint started peeling right off too, like plastic wrap. The bad news is, I also purchased a 5 gallon bucket for $60 that is non-returnable. I intended to use it for my living room. Now that I know that the paint will peel, what I can I do to paint latex over an oil based primer? I can't return the paint because it's mixed and I don't want to have wasted $60. Can I still use it? How can I paint with out peeling it off removing the painter's tape? Help! Thank you!Can I successfully paint a latex, satin finish, over an oil based primer?
How in the world did you end up with an oil based primer? It would not be my first choice for interior work (with a few exceptions), but you should be able to paint over it with latex. It will need to fully cure before you topcoat, at least 48 hours, I would lean toward curing it for a week. This is not a guess, I do it all the time but usually on exterior surfaces. Also, I sold paint for 10 years and have been through every kind of training you could imagine for paint product selection and problem correction.





I would not, under any circumstances try to find an oil paint to put on your walls. Too much of a mess as much as anything.





If you have let the primer fully cure and are still having problems, or if you would like a bit more information, it would be helpful to know exactly what kind of primer was used. Brand and anything on the front of the label would be helpful.





******





If this is an oil primer, you should still be able to smell it after 24 hours. Hard to describe the smell, but it is different than latex.





Look at the back of the paint that is peeling. Is it the same color as the front, or is it the color of the primer. If it is the same color as the primer, it is taking the primer off the wall as well. If your landlord used cheap latex paint instead of a primer, this is likely. The cheap latex does not bond well to drywall compound, your paint makes a strong bond to the cheap latex. The end result is when you pull on the topcoat, they both come off.





Are you sure that all of the wall was primed? Even a good latex paint does not bond well to raw compound. If this is the case, you should see the same color on the back of the paint, but it will have a dusting of compound.





Any of these possibilities should work themselves out over time. If you have already painted over an oil primer, it will eventually cure out, but it will take some time, probably a couple of weeks to reach a reasonable strength.





If it is a cheap latex paint as a primer or if the primer did not get to some spots, it should not fall off the wall unless you are pulling on it.





I would carefully remove any remaining tape. It may help to run a razor blade along the tape, to break the seal between the tape and the paint. Let the paint fully cure (again, a couple of weeks). Sand the rough edge along where the paint peeled and touch up. In the future, it is best to remove tape either while the paint is still very soft, within an hour of painting or after it is fully cured, at least a few days.





For the other room, I would find out exactly what the primer was. If it was oil, hold off on painting for a few days. If it was cheap latex paint, go ahead and paint over it but be careful with the tape. Putting another primer over top will not help, as the first coat will still be there. It will tend to get better with time as well.





If for some goofy reason he used an oil based paint (not primer), the surface will need some further prep before you can paint. Wash with a very strong solution of TSP, rinse and dry for a day or so.Can I successfully paint a latex, satin finish, over an oil based primer?
I'm not a painter, myself, but my sister owned rental property a few years back %26amp; learned to to use some kind of sizing that she used a sponge to put on - I think.





I also used to work with a painter, many years ago, %26amp; I think he had a way of putting something on over the oil based paint to make the latex adhere. I'm not sure if its called sizing, or some kind of primer, or what. I think he used to rough up the oil-based paint with sandpaper first, then put this stuff on with a paint roller, let it dry overnight, then use the latex - but I'm not positive.





Why not just call a Sherwin-Williams or other paint store %26amp; ask - ';What would I need to do if I want to use latex paint on a wall that previously had oil-based paint on it?'; That way, someone who really knows something about paint can answer your question %26amp; if you don't want them to know who you are, or buy anything from them, you won't have to. (Although if it were me %26amp; they told me a way that by spending another $20 on a product or 2 I could use the $60 worth of paint I'd already bought - I'd give them my business for the $20 now %26amp; in the future.)





Good luck!!
You should have used TSP to break up the chemical composition of the oil based paint making it ready to accept your primer and paint. Anytime you are painting a bathroom especially, use TSP before hand. 90% of painting is prep it sucks.








Unfortunately, Home Depot employs your friends kids and can not be relied on as their commercials suggest. I would contact Kelly Moore for a repair recommendation.





They only sell oil based paint as a specialty and commonly, it is not for sale for home painting widely so dont beat yourself up, you simply did not prep properly and must fix and start over.





I hate painting but I love a fresh coat! Good luck
That's a big fat NO.





Latex paint will not adhere to oil based primers. After it dries you can remove it with just passing your finger over it.
Absolutely, as long as you do a light sand in between coats
In order to have your paint to adhere to any surface you must first sand the surface you are appling your paint to

No comments:

Post a Comment