Saturday, December 26, 2009

Is anyone else far too addicted to latex gloves for house cleaning?

My hubbie thinks I am mad. I have three boxes of latex gloves dotted around our house and I wear them for pretty much everything. I just find stuff like cooking raw meat, emptying trash and cleaning the house without them gross. I think I wear about 4-5 pairs a day. Is this THAT weird?Is anyone else far too addicted to latex gloves for house cleaning?
I go through large professional size boxes of them every few months. They protect your hands against all kinds of stains, germs, and drying out. I don't see any downside to using them.Is anyone else far too addicted to latex gloves for house cleaning?
Maybe a little weird, but you are protecting your skin, anyway. I use them for raw meat and anything really gross, but not for the regular stuff. I do work in a hospital though, so I wash my hands about 800 times a day whether I'm working or not, just habit :)





I'd get a nice pair of rubber gloves for not-too-gross cleaning that involves water, too much soaking in water can really mess up the skin on your hands. I have a pink pair and a purple pair from Williams and Sonoma, and they're cute enough that no one calls them weird!
4-5 a day is a lot. Like you indicated, I use them for handling raw meat. When I scrub floors/toilets with a sponge I use them. When I change the oil in my various yard tools and cars I use them. My use isn't fear of germs, they are just more convenient than washing my hands after some chores. Instead of wearing gloves to tie up a trash bag, just use some Purell after. A poster above me indicated that over time you could develop an allergy to latex. That is very true and may be one reason to back off your use just a touch.
it is a waste of money.
I am a drywall finisher (mudder and taper) and I do not like to get drywall mud on my hands, so use to buy several boxes of the latex gloves. I loved them. However, I have found a store that sells nitrile disposable gloves, so that is what I get now. I do not really know what nitrile is, but it feels better and is a little stronger than latex.





But, yes, I am addicted to using those gloves. I also use those gloves when picking up gross trash in the shed and messing with my dogs messes.
i have used them, because in the winter my hands get really dry and cracked, i guess from all the cleaner and washing dishes and everything i guess.....but do you find then get kind of sticky after just a few minutes....i dont use them for dishes i use rubber gloves...just in the winter, but i have used tghem cleaning the bathroom and stuff like that, cuz my fingers are short and i find regular yellow rubber gloves long in the fingers and makes everything ten times harder to do...but the few times i have used them i found the got really sticky quick...unless it was the cleaner %26amp; too hot of water.....but if u like useing them...go ahead...and i like the idea of using them for raw meat...thanks for the tip!! ;)
It's a little obsessive to me, but I'm sure you are not alone. I wear gloves only to use cleaning products that you are not supposed to get on your skin. Anything else I touch I can wash my hands afterwards, so no gloves are needed. Whatever makes you comfortable is fine, as long as there is no harm in it.
I would be careful about the amount of use, you may develop an allergy to them.





Use a bag from the store that had your apples in it for things like the trash. And just wash your hands well when cutting the meat.





Cleaning with then is OK, but if you develop an allergy, then you will really be hurting.





There are alternative things, I have used baggies, or like I said the plastic bags that produce gets put it.
Yeah, it is if you keep your house clean and don't allow strangers to come in and make messes. You are actually setting yourself up for infections. We build up immunities to many germs and bacteria that we come into contact with every day. Especially the ones in our homes caused by us. If you do get exposed to a microbe or something that you have protected yourself from for so long and you have no built up immunity, you could get sick easier. So, I say use them for cleaning the toilet bowl and other things like moping, if you are putting your hands in the dirty water or maybe if someone is sick and you have to clean after them. Other than that, you only need to wash your hands after a job like taking the trash out. That is really enough for the task and soap and water kills most germs that you come in contact with in your home. Outside your home is where you need to worry some. Wash hands more often and keep them away from your face until you get home and wash. I agree with him. Good luck.
use the gloves, but be careful you don't get a sensitivity or allergic reaction. wash your hands well after each use and moisturize.

No comments:

Post a Comment