Saturday, December 26, 2009

What paint to use on paneling that has already been primed and painted with latex.?

Not peeling at all and it's been up there for several years although it's a very dark color and sometimes scrapes do show.. I'd like to put a good oil base on it but not sure if I have to do anything else. Just trying to lighten it up --just a basement not a room we use for much.What paint to use on paneling that has already been primed and painted with latex.?
I never use oil anymore. Latex is very good now in myopinion and cleanup sooo easy too :) I would prime it again and just repaint.What paint to use on paneling that has already been primed and painted with latex.?
Oil paint and Latex (water based) paint have different expansion and contraction rates. One over the other will cause cracks and pealing.





Stick with whatever is on there now.
I prefer purple, but it's your wall so you get to pick.
If you put oil over latex it will peel. So stay with latex. But use semi gloss or gloss. it washes easy. To cover a dark color you will need 2 coats.
Latex is the only way. Or you'll have to remove the old paint and start from the base.


Most of the colors and finishes are available in latex paints.


Have a good decorating.
Use latex. Most topcoats are compatible with latex, and you will not have any issues. The problems surface when the base coatings are enamel. Can't go wrong with latex.
You can paint oil over latex without doing anything but you can't paint latex over oil without prep work. Oil will last longer is more durable but, latex is easy use and clean-up and you don't have to worry about anything but color if you paint again next month.
They make an excellent paint to cover paneling. Go to a paint store and discuss with them. I sure they can refer you to an excellent one. Years ago I painted my paneling first I primed the paint store tinted it with the light gray color I choose. This was back in the mid eighties so I am sure there are several types out there now. Happy painting!
Glidden Paint
  • lenders
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment