Monday, December 21, 2009

How long does it take for interior latex wall paint to dry? I need to put furniture against the walls.?

I am repainting my bedroom, but I need to know how long I will need to wait, after two coatings, before I can put my bed against the wall and bookcase, dresser, and desk. I don't wanna end up with paint on my furniture or rubbing it off with my blanket or body, since I sleep against the wall.How long does it take for interior latex wall paint to dry? I need to put furniture against the walls.?
I don't know where you live, and that's important. I live in TX where the humidity is high. If it were in TX and you were applying latex to a wall, I'd say you'd be okay in 48 hours. Latex to trim, though, I'd give it closer to a week, esp if you used 2 coats.





In a dryer place I imagine you could cut that time in half.





TX Mom





P.S. I use oil-based paint on the trim. Humidity keeps latex soft, and easy to accidentally scratch off.How long does it take for interior latex wall paint to dry? I need to put furniture against the walls.?
As long as your stuff isn`t touching the walls...right away...it will still dry with something next to it...it will dry in a couple of hours anyway!!
It needs about a week to fully cure. I wouldn't put anything against the walls, especially fabric ( like a bvlanket ) that might create a pattern on paint that is not fully cured, for at least 48 hours.
Make sure the first coat is dry before putting on the 2nd coat. Have an oscillating fan in the room while painting to dry the paint.





I paint houses for a living and I can paint a room, go paint another room and the first room is dry enough for the 2nd coat after I have painted the 2nd room. Paint usually takes 72 hours to cure. But, you can move your furniture back.





Do leave your bed a couple of inches from the wall so that that area cures for the 72 hours after the 2nd coat.





If the heat is on and the fan is running, the paint dries pretty fast.
It depends on the weather. If it's humid, it will take longer. If it's cool in your house, that will also add time. There should be a rough dry time on the paint can. Just make sure nothing it tacky when you're ready. For paint to fully cure, it actaully takes up to two weeks, but you're fine to put your stuff back when it's no longer tacky.
It will have alot to do with where you live due to humidity, temperature etc. Also if the 1st coat was good %26amp; dry B4 you put the 2nd coat on it. If you haven't done the 2nd coat yet dont do it till a day you can do early in the morning. %26amp;/or when doing the 2nd, start on the wall where your bed goes %26amp; start at the bottom of the wall. Every minute of dry counts. If the 2nd coat is done put a fan blowing on it, ceiling fan work good too. If you have a dehumidtifier put it in the room. I would go a head move your furniture back in BUT not up against the wall. Leave all furniture out an inch or so for at least 1 day. 1 coat should dry to the touch in 1-2 hours. I wouldnt give it a second thought to have my bed moved back BY the wall, a couple of inches out after 2 coats and 4-5 hours. 2 coats should be dry to the touch with in 3-5 hours and not rub off onto the bedding. One might be able to scratch into in the paint with their finger nail for 4-5 but your going to bed and sleeping, You'll be fine! As long as your furniture doesnt come in contact with the paint for several hours, it's all good! Leave the funiture out though at least 1'; , 4-5';'s would be better and safer. I'm telling you accidents happen. If your in to much of a hurry %26amp; a corner of a dresser comes in contact with the paint it will scratch right down through those 2 coats. It to much work to ruin. I've done ton's of painting, probably more than 1 person should do in 1 life time. Good luck but I don't think you'll need it if you follow the above.
It depends on the temperature on how fast the room drys. Humidity will keep the paint moist. I would suggest you let it dry over night before placing the furniture. Even when dry, try not to put the furniture right up against the wall without some sort of padding behind the furniture as it will rub the wall and either cause dents or chips. They sell felt pads to place behind furniture that sits against the wall.
Latex paint can be dry to the touch in 1 hour. 24 hours is the total time needed for it to be totally dry and safe.
It's dry enough to move furniture into place after a few hours. I wouldn't lean anything against the wall until the next day, though.





I also recommend sleeping in another room that first night, until the paint outgasses a bit. The outgasses aren't exactly healthy. You can do an internet search for ';latex paint outgas'; and find different recommendations; I recommend mimimal exposure for 24 hours. Then open the windows and ventilate a bit before sleeping in the room.





Just close the hall door if it is winter, blow the smelly air out the window, then close the windows and open the hall door again.





http://www.healthyhomeplans.com/articles鈥?/a>





How can you color your world without making yourself blue? One simple way is to choose water-based paints over oil-based. Latex paint (water-based) contains 50% less VOCs than oil-based paint and is more resistant to mildew. Many giants in the paint industry, such as Glidden, Benjamin Moore and Sherwin-Williams, now manufacture low-VOC and zero-VOC paints as well.


http://www.herbalmusings.com/home_green_鈥?/a>
I would wait at least 24 hours if you can. Two days at the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment